This is an intense three day wet plate workshop about collodion negatives as well as salt- and albumen printing. After this wet plate workshop you will know about the differences between collodion positives and negatives. You will also have a feeling of what characteristics good negatives for salt- and albumen printing need to have. You’ve learned about redevelopment, you will be able to make your own salt- and albumen paper and of course you’ve made some nice prints from your own handmade glass negatives.
Along the way you are going to learn how to mix the required chemicals and you are going to experience strategies troubleshooting and selected tips and tricks to get better results in the future.
- welcome and general overview about the workshop
- demonstration of the wet plate collodion positive and negative process
- preparing chemicals for negatives
- photographing the first negatives
- preparing egg whites for albumen printing
- shooting more negatives
- learning about different light characteristics
- learning how to get the „right density“ for different printing processes
- redevelopment and intensification
- varnishing the negatives
- preparing papers for printing
- sensitizing papers for printing
- printing, printing, printing
- learning about contrast control and gold toning
- different characteristics between salt- and albumen paper
- waxing salt prints
Every participant will receive a handout with all recipes and a lot of further information as well as detailed step by step instruction charts. Materials for the workshop are included.
Date: October, first to third 2021
Location: Berlin, Germany
Price: 750,- € plus 19% VAT
Language: deutsch, english
Participants: max. 4
Accommodation: Please let me know if you need recommendations near the workshop venue. (Accommodation is not included in the workshop fee.)
Please send me an email to email@example.com. Your registration will be confirmed after payment.Click here for registration
„Thanks to Christian for the highly instructive, exciting, labor intensive and inspiring workshop.
Thanks also to the sympathetic participants, the good working atmosphere and the food. I had a great time with you guys and I’m proud of my first wet plate negatives, albumen and salt prints.“